Vegan Shepard’s Pie
Recipe: Vegan Shepherd’s Pie
Gluten free, dairy free, nut free, vegan
Time: 60 min
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 450g mushrooms, sliced
- 6 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 2 tbs gluten free corn flour
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- ½ cup red wine (optional)
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1kg golden sweet potato
- 1 serve (25g) Nuzest Just Natural Clean Lean Protein
- 1/4 cup plant-based milk
- 1 bay leave and/or a sprig of rosemary
- Salt and pepper
- To make the mashed potatoes for the top of the shepherd’s pie, peel the potatoes, chop them roughly and boil until tender in a large pot of water. Drain the water and mash the potato, adding in the milk and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Now it’s time to prepare the vegetable pie filling! Preheat the oven to 200°C. In a large oven proof pot (or if you don’t have one of these, a pan), heat the olive oil over a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion has turned translucent.
- Add the mushrooms, carrots and herbs to the pot and sauté until the carrot is softened.
- Add the tomato paste and corn flour to the pot and stir. Pour in the red wine (is using) and stir again, making sure to scrape all of the browned bits off the bottom of your pot. Allow to cook for two minutes before slowly adding the stock to the pot, stirring continuously until a gravy forms. Season with salt and pepper. Add the Nuzest Just Natural Clean Lean Protein and stir to combine. Simmer over a low heat until it thickens.
- Once thickened, remove the herbs and stir in the peas. Turn off the heat.
- If using an oven-proof pot, top your filling with the mashed potatoes, spreading it out evenly on top. If not using an oven-proof pot, transfer your mixture to an oven-proof baking dish and repeat the same process.
- Lightly brush the top of your potato with extra virgin olive oil and bake in the oven for 20 minutes at 200°C.
- Serve with a salad.
Mushrooms have a “meaty” texture and make a great meat replacement. Mushrooms are also a source of vitamin D (think of them as little immunity boosters!)
PS. Did you know that you can support vital MS research AND treat yourself to some delicious, nutritional goodies? Shop with Nuzest today – you’ll get 15% off and Nuzest will donate a further 15% of your purchase to help Kiss Goodbye to MS